Tamarindo was an old fishing village located in the District of the Cantón of Santa Cruz, Guanacaste. Today it is one of the most popular beach destinations in Costa Rica. It has kilometres of golden sands beaches with warm waters and tropical scenery. It is a great place for nature lovers and a good starting point for outdoor activities. Their geographic and climatic conditions make it an ideal area for surf and others aquatic sports as scuba diving, snorkeling and kayaking.
Costa Rica is recently known as a destination of scuba diving. Underwater volcanic rock formations are home of small hard corals and sponges. Once you dare to discover the fascinating underwater world, you will understand why Costa Rica is one of the main ecotourist destinations to enjoy the adventure of diving.
Diving in Tamarindo you will find stingrays, turtles, white sharks and lot of different fishes as marlins, tuna and mere. In the 2004 the Pacific Coast of Costa Rica received the award Readers’ Choice, awarded by the magazine Rodale’s Scuba Diving as one of the 5 best destinations of the world for advanced diving.
Scuba Diving in Tamarindo
- Usually dives are made in groups of not more than 6 people with two dives by trip for each person.
- Diving season: The rainy season goes from May to November but you can dive throughout the year.
- Depth: 13-34 m/40 – 110 feet.
- Visibility: It varies from 15 to 30 metres/45 – 90 feet, but the average is 12 m / 36 ft. The season from June to September usually is the time of best visibility.
- Current: The current can be strong on the North Pacific Coast while the current is normally softer along the South coast of the Pacific.
- Water temperature: Usually it varies from 26 – 29 ° C. From December to March the current is more cold and the temperature descends to 19 ° C.
- Some tours have bilingual guides.
- Some tours offer scuba diving at night.
- For your safety search a dive center that is affiliated with one of the recreational diving international organizations such as PADI or SSI. This guarantees a high standard of security and quality of service.
- Verify that the center of diving has trained staff and trained in diving’s rescue, oxygen of first aid and first aid supplies.
- With regard to the diving items is important to verify the date of the last test hydrostatic, which must be stamped in the tank and must have less than a year.
- Do not hesitate to ask instructions and signs a few times if it is necessary. They will be your way of communicate with the instructor under the water.
- For more information: http://www.visitcostarica.com/