I spent seven days in this amazing place of the world. But if you only have an excursion to choose I recommend to visit the Perito Moreno Glacier.
Glaciar Perito Moreno
Glaciers are the main attraction of El Calafate and the best way to experience them is through a tour to the National Park. But there are several trips to do. One of the many tours that tourist agencies offer is the Mini Trekking on the Perito Moreno Glacier. Today we want to talk about the Ice Rivers Express excursion.
If you come to El Calafate and do not know which excursion choose due to the variety of options let me ask you the following questions:
- Do you like trekking?
- Do you like sailing?
- Do you want to learn about the flora and fauna of the place?
- Do you ever imagined walking above the glaciers?
Well…in my opinion the minitrekking on the Perito Moreno Glacier is the most complete day trip because you do everything in one tour: sailing, trekking and wildlife watching.
The tour begins in “Bajo de las Sombras” port, about 6 km before the glacier Balconies- where you embark for a 20 minutes navigation across the Rico Arm.
You disembark on the opposite shore, where specialized bilingual mountain guides welcome you and lead you to a small shelter. Then, separated into groups of 20 people, begins a walk along the shore of the Lake of approximately 20 minutes to the glacier. After a short talk about the genesis glacier and the regional flora and fauna the guides put each participant a pair of crampons on and explain how to use them.
From there, you will slowly ascend the glacier. The two hours circuit that follows introduces you to the fascinating landscape of the glaciers: streams, small lagoons, gullies, cravasses and plenty of ice formations of the most incredible blues.
The ice surface over which you walk is irregular, but firm and safe so dont be afraid! The trekking is moderate and remember you have permanent care of mountain guides who give you also the opportunity to make a stop and take wonderful pictures. Besides, the surprise gift at the end of the walk is supreme!
Then you have a half an hour walk through the forest for a different view of the glacier. You get back to the shelter to have lunch and finally sail back to the starting point, enjoying breathtaking views of the Perito Moreno glacier’s front wall.
The minitrekking is a must if you go to El Calafate. At this excursion you will discover the unique sensation of walking on the millennial ice. If you think it is very expensive, I will not lie. But believe me that worth every penny.
Some information to take into account
What to bring
- Passengers must bring their lunch.
- Outfit: Comfortable sports wear, long trousers, warm sweater, water or windproof jacket, sun glasses, sun block and gloves. Sport shoes or trekking boots.
- Between 10 and 65 years old.
- 1:30 hs on ice. Full day from El Calafate.
- Due to the degree of effort and difficulty that this excursion presents is not allowed for: pregnant women, people with overweight, some type of disability, or health problems.
- The tour costs $1.620 (Argentinian pesos) National Park entrance is not included on the tour rate.
- Children (10 to 15 years) and retirees pay $-20%.
- A transfer from El Calafate to National Park (80 km) is available to those who need such service. The cost of the transfer is $480.
- The mini trekking runs from beginning of August up to end of May.
- The tours are daily, including weekends and holidays.
- Company Tour: “Hielo y Aventura”.
- Address: Av. Libertador 935. El Calafate, Santa Cruz.
- Email: email@example.com.
- Telephone: +54 (2902) 492205/094.
- To buy your tickets online click here
- The purchase must be at least 10 days in advance.